Friday, July 13, 2012

Living Simply


My life feels a little chaotic at times.
I'm sure most people can relate.
Between being a wife, raising a child, and working.. those things alone keep me busy.  
Add in the day to day activities that come with living, and well I feel a little overwhelmed at times.

Last week we made a trip to Fort Collins to show off CSU to my brother.
I was taken back to how wonderful my life was then.  
Now don't get me wrong, my life is a million times greater now, but my life then was so, well, simple.

I worked, I walked my dog, I biked, and just enjoyed exploring Colorado up there.
I didn't have a TV for the longest time, so I did a lot of reading.
I spent a lot of time enjoying God and all He has done.

I lived in this modest little duplex.  It was perfect for my little life. 
Nothing spectacular but the perfect place for me at the time.

My front door
 Kitchen
 Bedroom
Back yard
Shia and my neighbors' dog Copper would sit in my recliner and stare outside for hours.
My faithful hiking partner, Shia.
The daily beauty I'd find... so much better than the TV.


I took some time to really thank God for that season in my life.
And in those moments of thanks I realized I could still have that life now.
A life with not as much distraction.
A life focused on my top three priorities.  
1. God
2. Caleb
3.  Blake
After that everything else will fall into place.

Granted a marriage and a child take a LOT of time and work, but how many times do I come home and flip on the TV?  
Probably a little to often.  How often do I find myself stuck in this lifestyle of busy?  
When I take a step back I realize that it's not necessary to have the materially perfect things that keep me busy and take me away from my 3 priorities.
(ie. clothes, home decor, accessories, electronics, etc)

I want to incorporate my old way of life into my new life and....
LIVE SIMPLY!

Enjoy the outdoors instead of Pinterest or the latest TV shows.

Not go crazy buying things that I'll just have to clean up and manage in my house.
I mean, let's be real, I have clothes I bought and have never worn. 
 They end up sitting in my closet until I realize I have to clean it out and give it to Good Will.
These things are nice, yes, but they sure do eventually complicate things.

I want to eat simply and enjoy the simplicity of fresh food.
The over processed food is delicious at times, but not good for you.


There is something so refreshing about living a life focused on the Lord.
So many times I get distracted by meaningless things.
His challenge to us might be hard at times but sure is simple.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
-Matthew 16:24

What do you do to live a simple life? 
 Do you find yourself more at peace when you live simply?




2 comments:

  1. Love this post Jami! I just read this AWESOME book called 7 by Jen Hatmaker that is right along these thoughts! You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in need of some new reading material right now! Hope you are doing great!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...