Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Cop Life... part 2

Awhile back I wrote this post on what it's like to be married to a cop.
Well it's all still true, but now I feel like I should update this, with what it's like to co parent with a cop while being married to him.

Ok, that changes things... just a little.
Husband is still wonderful at leaving work at work, and overall he's a wonderful hubs and father.
I really couldn't be more blessed.

But.... (you knew there was a but didn't you)
when you make the decision to both work full time, and to not put a kiddo in day care.
Well then life gets a little tricky.
And then our relationship gets a little tricky, and then parenting gets a little tricky.

Currently, we are single parents half of the day 4 days a week. 
4 days a week, our life looks like this.
I wake up early, and head to work.  Get home with 15-30 min before hubs heads out the door to start his shift at work.  He gets home, we sleep in the same bed for 3 hours and then I'm up again to go back to work.  My joke is I see my husband 3.5 hours a day and 3 of those hours are spent sleeping.
Awesome!

Now the other 3 days of the week are great.  One day I spend working part of it, and then the other 2, are spent as my highly anticipated family days.
The other 4 days just plain stink... A lot!

Every year, we adjust to a new schedule and every year, I go through this period of hating Caleb's new shift.  And then we finally get the hang of it, only for it to change all over again.

It's been a hard few weeks of this shift, I'm not going to lie.
I've cried a lot (poor hubby)
I'm exhausted!
And sadly, I've learned to rely on Yo Gabba Gabba, so I can actually get food on the table for me and Little Miss each night.  That show is so obnoxious, but I'll save that for another post.

But in all of this, I am realizing that this is my constant reminder to keep God first.
I love my family, I really really do. 
But sometimes, I need the reminder that I need to love God more.
And this is the perfect reminder,
In the chaos, and the loneliness of nights alone after Blake is in bed....., I'm reminded that it isn't Caleb that can make me eternally happy, and as much as she tries it's not Blake either.
It's the Big Man Upstairs.

As long as I keep this perspective, we will be fine, I will be fine, life will be fine.

After all, Husband and I have big plans for when we're old, retired, and the kids are grown up.
So I'll miss him now, but look forward to the plans of the 2 cool old people traveling across Europe like we're 21.... ahh yes, that is what I have to look forward to.

Cop Life... it's a constant adjustment, but at least I can say every day, I'm proud of my husband and the work he does!  He truly makes a difference in this crazy world we live in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...