Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Guest Post From a Pretty Fantastic Gal



I'm so excited to introduce you to Ms. Katie.  She blogs over at Standpipe and Sprinkles and has one of the cutest little daughters EVER.  She is honest, smart and I absolutely love her writing style.

Once I get back from my trip home to Oklahoma we are getting together for a play date with our girls.  Because here is the funny thing, we're neighborhood neighbors!  Never met her before but through blogging we figured out we live about 5 miles away from each other... now that's why I love blogging.

So please enjoy Katie and go check out her blog!  She's pretty fantastic!




Ah, New Year's Eve. Is it a nostalgic time for you? It wasn't anything to get super excited about for me, growing up, but I still remember it so fondly. My parents didn't go out to dance and drink the night away. We didn't have any big, family New Year traditions. No, most nights, my mom would make a delicious appetizer (baked brie, anyone?), and we'd sip sparkling cider. We'd giggle and cuddle on the couch, and if by some miracle we made it to midnight, we'd watch the ball drop and make toasts with our Martinelli's. Mom and Dad would round up me and my younger sisters. To bed we'd go, and out we'd be, before our little heads even hit our pillows.

Today, New Year's Eve still means family. This year, my hubby Tim -- who's a driller on an oil rig in North Dakota -- will be driving home to me and our sweet baby girl, Maile. As sweet Jami knows, a different sort of celebration takes place when your spouse, who works an incredibly dangerous job, makes it home to his family! So, I couldn't be more ecstatic to ring in the New Year sitting in my PJs, probably snacking a little too much, and knowing that Miss Maile is sleeping soundly upstairs.

2012 was wonderful; it really was one of the best years of my life. I feel so blessed, being able to say that. For me, this was a year of personal growth. As was expected, my first full year of motherhood changed me. Having a child has a way of changing your priorities. Things that I once thought to be important have become insignificant, shallow, trivial. Like autumn leaves, one by one, these things fell away, and my life simplifies ever more as my focus narrows to being a more Christlike mama and wife. That was my 2012.


I am so looking forward to 2013. I love the New Year, and this might make you roll your eyes, but I think any opportunity for a fresh start is inspiring. Sure, January 1 is just another day, but it carries with it great symbolism. I'm not making any specific resolutions, but I am working on some things, and I'm excited to keep doing so ...

In 2012, Tim and I started to come into our own as parents. We celebrated five years of marriage. We had an amazing time in Northern California, for the wedding of one of Tim's childhood friends. I did my first DIY project -- sort of. We had a lot of fun family dates (most of them here). I started blogging. I became a "Mama Bear." I developed a serious case of "Mom Brain." We took a trip to the Sunflower State. Maile got the giggles, and really experienced her first snow

I learned that fatherhood makes your husband even sexier. That there's always something to be thankful for. We had an imperfectly perfect Thanksgiving celebration, not on the correct day, of course! I also had a much-needed girl's day, had our little blog redesigned, had a near-perfect evening with Maile, and took a family trip to Georgetown.

Maile actively tromped around a pumpkin patch, took part in her first neighborhood "pumpkin hunt," and happily dressed up for Halloween. Our sweet little girl turned one in May. We had a small, but wonderful, party for her. We had two photo sessions with our pal Lisa. (Is anyone else as obsessed with having pictures as I am? Even if I never order prints?) I cried for Connecticut, as we all did. We ended the year with lights and togetherness. 


It's amazing to look back, and then to think ahead to 2013, and imagine what great things God has in store for us. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for reading. And thank you to Jami for asking me to post here!

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed that read - look forward to hearing how you all get on when the travellers arrive back from Oklahoma! Hope the weather was kind and allowed your plans to come to fruition!

    Blogging is great for finding Friends - I've made many since I began in 2011, but so far, most have the Atlantic Ocean between them and me! It's a small world, though, isn't it?

    Happy New Year to both families - Isobel from www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this girl! So glad that she wrote for you! She's pretty wonderful. P.S not sure if I've told you this before but your smile is just too much. Its so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jami, so wonderful to find your blog!
    I absolutely adore Ms. Katie and was excited to see she was guest posting over here.
    I look forward to reading more of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, loved this piece! I think Katie is fantastic, and am so glad that I found your blog through hers! (and how incredible is it that you guys live so close together?! Awesome!) I read through a bit of your blog, Jami, (SO great!) and I'm looking forward to reading more. Happy New Year to you! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...