Friday, December 7, 2012

Healthy Donuts That Don't Taste Healthy




Donuts are my weakness.  
Like I can't drive by a donut shop because my car magically decides to veer into their parking lot.
(I have a very weird car... I just can't control it sometimes)
But let's face it, they are terrible for you.  So I searched high and low for a recipe to make healthy ones.
And then I found this glorious recipe I found on one of my favorite blogs... HERE.
 Honestly, I didn't have to do much changing because my, oh my, these things are perfect and delicious and healthy.

I mean who doesn't want a healthy donut?  Yeah, I can't think of anyone either.

It might look a little time consuming or intimidating to make donuts from scratch, but after you make them once, this will become a breakfast favorite and you can whip them out in no time.
So get on it, people, you'll thank me!

First allow me to introduce to you my new favorite cooking friend.
Yep this stuff pretty much rocks... doesn't leave an "oily taste" and it's a great healthy option for frying.
So get to know my friend because you are going to use quite a bit of it.
So put quite a bit of this stuff in a skillet (about 1/4" deep) and heat it on medium lo heat.

While the oil is heating let's mix up the dough.
Add your dry ingredients.
And then your wet ingredients

Mix up all of the ingredients with your hands.
Don't be scared, get in there... it goes much faster this way.


Then roll out your dough and search your kitchen for circular objects that can help you cut out donuts.
I hate to admit this, but here is what I use.
Yep that is a children's medicine cup for the center and a top for a bullet.
Or you could use a donut cutter, that might be a little easier.
Cut, combine unused dough, roll out again and cut some more.
Repeat this process until your dough is gone.

Next fry up the suckers and place them on a paper towel covered plate to let them dry.


When you are done with your frying process, you'll start the yummy process.
The glaze!

Mix up your ingredients in a smaller saucepan and heat on low until it's pretty runny.
Dip your beautifully cut donuts into the glaze and let them drip on a wire rack.
It might be a good idea to put a wax paper covered cookie sheet underneath to prevent a huge mess to clean up later.
Once you dip them all in the glaze.
Do it again!
Trust me... it's good.

Then enjoy!!!


Ingredients
3 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tsp of baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
2/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
1/3 cup of milk
2 eggs
3 TBSP of melted butter
1 tsp of vanilla

Honey Glaze
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1 TBSP of cinnamon

                   

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...